Paleo Carrot Caramel Poke Cake! (Grain/Egg/ Dairy free/ Gluten Free)
A DELICIOUS Egg and Grain Free sheet cake recipe that is bursting with flavor!! If you want to keep things simple- this is the best cake to make..because fancy frosting skills are NOT required!! Think of this as an upgrade to coffee cake! This is perfect to make for a birthday or Easter!
Paleo Carrot Caramel Poke Cake! (Grain/Egg/ Gluten Free)
· 160 grams coconut palm sugar (about 1 cup)
· 110 grams milk (dairy or nondairy) (about 1/2 cup)
· 75 grams applesauce (about 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon)
· 56 grams mild-flavored oil, melted salt- ed butter, or melted ghee (about 1/4 cup)
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 208 grams chestnut flour (about 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon)
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 2 teaspoons double-acting, aluminum- free baking powder
· 1?8 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
· Pinch of kosher salt
· 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
· 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium)
· 1/2 cup chopped raw nuts of choice and/ or raisins (optional)
· 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter or ghee (OR earth balance dairy free buttery sticks)
· 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
· 1 tablespoon heavy cream or coconut cream (from a can of coconut milk)
Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting
· 1/2 cup coconut butter
· 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Spectrum vegetable shortening
· 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons raw honey
· 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
· 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
· Pinch of kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease one 8 by 8 square baking pan.
2. Make the batter: In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the chestnut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt until blended. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Add the vinegar and mix well.. Gently fold in the carrots and nuts/raisins, if using, until evenly distributed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 to 23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and use the back of a wooden spoon to poke lots of holes in the surface (to fill with caramel) Set aside and make the caramel.
5. Make the Caramel- Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan mixing continually. Bring it to a boil for only about 15 seconds until it thickens slightly. (The longer you boil the the harder it will get as it cools- and the goal here is to go for a nice soft caramel that oozes into the cake :)
6. Pour the hot caramel over the cake and into all the holes. Set aside to let it to start cooling and make the frosting.
7. Make the frosting: Melt the coconut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
8. Combine the melted coconut butter, shortening, honey, lemon juice, xanthan gum, and salt in a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy.
9. Refrigerate until just hardened, 2 to 3 hours. If you leave the frosting in the fridge for more than a few hours, it may become too hard to spread. If this happens, place the frosting back in the food processor to get it soft and fluffy again for spreading. Frost the cake using an offset spatula and serve! Store at room temperature covered for 3-4 days.
*IF Dairy Free Isn’t something you need to worry about-you can just make this traditional cream cheese frosting recipe instead!
Traditional Cream cheese frosting
4 ounces of Salted Butter
4 Ounces of Cream Cheese (1 package)
2 cups of POWDERED Honey (I buy it on amazon)
1-2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract.
Beat those ingredients together and spread on top of the cake!
PS. I have an IMPORTANT note:
Social media these days has taken a major DIVE and the majority of you that follow my FB business page and Instagram page see very little of what I post! This makes it hard for your guys to receive the free content you wanted to see!
I did a lot of research and the best way to stay in touch right now is through a FB group!! So I started one: (Brittany Angell’s Special Diet Group) . THIS GROUP is not just for sharing my recipes- but as a place of support where you are all welcome to ask health and recipe related questions, meet new people, and share any special diet recipes you have tried and enjoyed! I will be doing giveaways in this group in the months to come!! Come join us!! Its a positive uplifting group! Click here: