Grain free Ham and Cheese Scones! (Gluten / Dairy Free)
These scones have the PERFECT texture!! I cant get enough of them. You will not be able to tell that they are gluten or grain free. They are great for brunch year round- but I highly recommend them in the spring or for easter. If meat isn’t your thing the ham can be left out entirely. For the very best results PLEASE use the gram measurements and do not many any substitutions.
To make these scones dairy free you can use the palm shortening option and swap out the cheddar for dairy free cheese shreds. Ive heard the new Butcher Block Day shreds are decent!
Grain free Cheese and Ham Scones! (Gluten/ Free)
· 2 cups (288g) blanched almond flour
· 1/2 cup (88g) potato or sweet potato starch, plus more for the pan and dough
· 1/2 tsp baking soda
· 1/2 cup/1 stick (112g) semi-chilled salted butter or 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp (88g) room temperature palm shortening
· 3/4 tsp lemon juice
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
· 8 oz. fully cooked diced ham
· 1/2 tsp garlic powder
· 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust it with potato starch.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the almond flour, potato starch, garlic powder, black pepper, and baking soda until blended.
3. Cut the butter or shortening into the flour mixture until small, pea-sized clumps form.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour-butter mixture and mix until well-combined.
5. Shape the dough into a ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Pat out the dough into a circle, about 6 inches in diameter and 2 inches thick. Pat the top and sides with potato starch.
6. Bake for 35 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden brown.
7. Allow to cool on the pan. When completely cool, slice into 6 wedges and serve. Store at room temperature in a sealed bag or container, or freeze for up to 3 months.