Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls with Toasted Pecans and Bourbon Salted Caramel
Sweet Potato Dough
· 3/4 Cup Coconut Flour (126g)
· 3/4 Cup Tapioca Flour (99g)
· 3/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (152g)
· 1/2 teaspoon of salt
· 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
· 2 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
· 1 TBSP Double Acting Baking Powder
· 3/4 Cup Sweet Potato Puree (213 grams)
· 1/2 cup of Applesauce (116 grams)
· 1/2 Cup + 2 TBSP Spectrum Shortening (`100 grams)
· 2 teaspoons of Vinegar or Lemon Juice
Cinnamon Pecan Filling
· 1/4 Cup Melted Butter or Mild flavored Oil
· 1 Cup of Palm Sugar
· 2 tsp Cinnamon
· 1 cup FINELY Chopped Toasted Pecans (optional)
Bourbon Salted Caramel (optional)
· 3/4 Cup Butter, dairy or non dairy
· 1 1/4 Cup Palm Sugar
· 1/8 tsp Salt
· 3 TBSP Heavy Cream
· 1 TBSP Bourbon
Sweet Potato Dough
1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and grease paper with butter. Set Aside.
2. Mix together all of the ingredients using a stand mixer on medium speed for about 1-2 minutes.
3. While the dough is mixing, combine the melted butter/oil, palm sugar, cinnamon, toasted pecans and chopped candied bacon in a separate bowl.
4. Once the dough has come together scoop it onto an oiled sheet of parchment paper. Roll the dough out into a 18x12 inch rectangle that is 1/8 inch thick. Spread the cinnamon filling over the dough edge to edge.
5. Using the parchment to help, begin to roll the long side of the dough away from you. Take your time and be sure to roll tightly, if it is rolled too loose the cinnamon rolls will fall apart when you slice them. Be sure to "seal" the edge once the roll is formed.
6. Using non-flavored dental floss, slice the roll into 12, 2 inch cinnamon rolls. Place them side by side in the parchment lined pan. Brush them with another 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter or oil.
7. Cover the pan with foil or an additional piece of parchment and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Bourbon Salted Caramel
8. Combine the butter, palm sugar, salt and heavy cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the butter is melted and the ingredients are combined.
9. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes and remove from heat. Add bourbon and stir well.
10. Drizzle the caramel over the baked and slightly cooled cinnamon rolls just before serving.
To toast the pecans- after chopping them place them in a dry skillet for 3 to 5 minutes until lightly golden. As soon as you start to smell them you know they are done! Remove from heat quickly at this point as they go from toasted to burned in a matter of a minute.