Pumpkin Enchiladas with Dairy Free Cream Sauce! (Gluten/Grain/Egg Free & Paleo)
Enchiladas are probably in the top three of my favorite types of Mexican food. Soft corn tortillas stuffed with seasoned meat and topped with delicious sauce and cheese, how does it get any better than that?! Well, you could add pumpkin and swap out melted cheese and/or enchilada sauce for a creamy, dairy free bechemel sauce! I fantasize that this is what fall in Mexico tastes like.
I just used corn tortillas since I can have corn and feel fine- I know thats not the case for all of you! So if you want to make these bad boys GRAIN FREE/ PALEO just use one of the Tortilla recipes from my book Every Last Crumb! If you use the plantain tortillas/ and leave out the chili powder in the recipe they can even become AIP friendly!
PS. This photo is a terrible representation of these awesome enchiladas. Moments before taking this photo my camera fell out of the tripod straight into the enchiladas and broke a plate in half. I was so mad! HA- so I rushed through this photo not wanting to be bothered. Dumb. BUT whatever..I promise these things are good.
· 1/2 lb ground turkey
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
· 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
· 1/2 tsp ground sage
· 1/2 tsp dried thyme
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1/2 tsp black pepper
· 1/4 tsp chipotle chili pepper
· 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
8 corn tortillas or any tortilla recipe from every last crumb
· 2 1/2 cups heavy cream or coconut cream
· 3 1/2 tbsp tapioca starch
· 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
· 1 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp sea salt
· 1 tsp black pepper
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tbsp of oil and once hot add the onion. Allow to cook for 3 minutes until soft then add the turkey. Increase the heat to medium high and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes until cooked through then add the remaining spices, cook for an additional minute and remove to a bowl and set aside.
3. In a large sauce pan whisk together all the ingredients for the cream filling and bring to a bubble. Allow to thicken for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Place 2 heaping tablespoons worth of the filling into the center of each tortilla, roll and place seam side down and side by side into a large casserole dish. Pour the cream sauce over the tops of the prepared enchiladas and place into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cream sauce beings to bubble and brown. Serve immediately.