Paleo Pumpkin Nutmeg Gravy.
· 2 Tablespoons of Butter (dairy or nondairy.) * I love either Kerrygold butter or Earth Balance.
· 1 shallot finely chopped.
· 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
· 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
· 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Starch (Potato Starch, Arrowroot or Tapioca)
· 5 Tablespoons of Blanched Almond Flour.
· 1 Cup of Chicken Broth
· 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
· 2 Tbs Heavy Cream OR Heavy Coconut Milk
· 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
1. To a sauce pan add the butter, and shallot. Cook over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so until caramelized (a beautiful golden brown color and cooked through) .
2. Add the Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Starch and Almond Flour. Stir for 1 minute and then add the remaining ingredients.
3. Stir and gently boil until thick.
4. Salt to taste. At this point I like to put the gravy in the food processor to get it 100% smooth (by grinding up the onions) but this step is 100% optional.
5. Gravy will thicken as it cools.