Paleo Copycat “Pillsbury” Pie Crust. (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Coconut Free)
A few years ago this recipe took the internet by STORM! I have had hundreds and hundreds of people tell me its the best pie crust they have ever had- and I have to agree..its perfection!! I was able to add gluten back to my diet about 2 years ago..and I tried some regular store bough pie crust recipes and immediately regretted it. This crust is BETTER! The flavor, texture and how easy the dough is to work with!
So forget gluten..this recipe is the star of the show! :)
You can make this crust ahead of time and freeze it. Freeze it in a ball really well wrapped or put it in the pie dish and cover that up and freeze the whole dish. Whatever you prefer. Treat it like you would pillsbury pie crust from the store! Its a really forgiving dough and will work with you!
· 3/4 packed cup of blanched almond flour
· 1 1/4 cup of Tapioca or Arrowroot starch
· 4 Tbsp of Salted Butter (Or earth balance butter)
· 4 Tbsp of Palm Shortening (or regular shortening)
· 1/2 teaspoon of salt
· 1 teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum
· 4 Tbsp of Applesauce
Reserve for later
· 1/4 cup of extra tapioca or arrowroot starch (OPTIONAL)
1. In a large food processor (I use a 14 cup) add the almond flour, starch, butter, shortening, salt and xanthan or guy gum. Process until the dough begins to come together. Add the applesauce and process until a smooth dough forms.
2. Place the dough into a sealed tupperware and place into the fridge 2 hours.
3. After the dough has chilled- mix in the last 1/4 cup of starch and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper (dusting with extra starch as needed to prevent sticking) NOTE: If you chill the dough for 24 hours you will only need a LITTLE extra starch to roll the dough out. You won't need to mix in the full 1/4 cup.
4. Quickly place the rolled out crust into the pie pan using the parchment as your guide. It should holds its shape without breaking.
5. At this point you can either fill the crust with filling of choice and follow the directions for that pie. OR Bake the crust in a 350 degree oven 16-20 minutes until lightly golden.
Be sure not to remove or swap the shortening. The recipe needs it to work properly!
If you have a 14 cup food processor this crust CAN be doubled! Just double all of the ingredients and chill. Divide the dough in half to make 2 crusts. (Ps. The crust can be used on top of a pie!)
Ps. This recipe is 1/4 of the Pie Crust Recipes that I have available for you! :) This recipe here is by far the most popular (I think because of how I named it!) But..all the other options are pretty great too! They are made for different diets/allergies so that everyone can have PIE!
Gluten Free Patee Brisee. Flaky, Easy to work with Pie Crust. (Dairy/Corn/Soy Free).