Sausage Stuffed Apples with hard cider glaze! (gluten,grain,egg,dairy,nut free and paleo)
Who says stuffed and baked apples are just for dessert? Certainly not me! Pork and apple is a classic flavor combination and this recipe offers a new school spin on the traditional pork chops and applesauce. The fatty saltiness of the pork sausage and the crisp bright tartness of the apples offer the perfect balance of flavors!
· 1 lb italian sausage, casings removed
· 1 1/2 tsp ground sage
· 1/2 tsp black pepper
· 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
· 5 large granny smith apples, hollowed out
· 6 cups hard cider
· 1 cup + 2 tbsp honey
· 3 1/4 tsp tapioca, potato or arrowroot starch
· 3/4 tsp sea salt
· 3/4 tsp nutmeg
· 1/8 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat add the meat and spices and cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
3. Scoop the sausage into the prepared apples, packing it in fairly tightly, and place onto prepared baking sheet.
4. Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
To make the hard cider glaze:
In a saucepan bring to a gentle simmer/light boil:
2 cups hard or apple cider, ¼ cup + 2 tbsp honey, 1 tsp starch of choice , ¼ tsp sea salt and ¼ tsp black pepper in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and whisking well to combine. Simmer until it reduces and becomes a syrup. This process takes a good 30 minutes or longer. And its well worth the time!!