Grain Free Pumpkin Turkey Empanadas!
· 1/2 lb ground turkey
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
· 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
· 1/2 tsp ground sage
· 1/2 tsp dried thyme
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1/2 tsp black pepper
· 1/4 tsp chipotle chili pepper
· 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1 batch pie crust of choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the pie crust you choose according to its directions. Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness and use a 3 inch biscuit cutter to cut out the empanada dough and set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tbsp of oil and once hot add the onion. Allow to cook for 3 minutes until soft then add the turkey. Increase the heat to medium high and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes until cooked through then add the remaining spices, cook for an additional minute and remove to a bowl and set aside.
4. To the prepared empanada crusts add 1/2 tbsp of the meat filling to the center, fold dough in half and crimp the edges closed. Repeat with remaining pie crust and meat until each have been utilized fully.
5. Place the empanadas onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.