Grain and Egg Free Gooey Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls!
Cinnamon Roll Dough
· 3/4 Cup + 2 TBSP Unsweetened Applesauce
· 3/4 Cup Coconut Flour (126g)
· 3/4 Cup Tapioca Starch (99g)
· 3/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar (146g)
· 1/2 tsp Salt
· 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
· 1 TBSP Baking Powder
· 1 TBSP Vanilla
· 1/2 Cup + 2 TBSP Spectrum Shortening (120g)
· 1 TBSP Lemon Juice or Vinegar
Apple Pie Compote
· 3 large apples, finely diced or shredded (4 cups)
· 2 tsp Vanilla
· 1 tsp Lemon Juice
· 1 TBSP Cinnamon
· ¼ cup Cane or Palm Sugar
· 1 TBSP Water
· 5 TBSP Butter, dairy or non-dairy
· 1 cup of Cup Palm Sugar
· 2 tsp Cinnamon
Cinnamon Roll Dough
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line an 8x8 pan with buttered parchment paper.
3. Using a stand mixer combine all of the dough ingredients together on medium speed until well combined and dough comes together.
4. Place the dough onto an oiled sheet of parchment paper using well oiled hands and roll out the dough into a rectangle shape, about 18x12 inches and 1/8 inch thick. Use the parchment to fold the dough into the rectangle shape.
5. In a medium bowl combine all of the apple compote ingredients.
6. In a medium pan saute. apple compote ingredients on low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
7. In a medium bowl, combine all of the cinnamon filling ingredients.
8. Spread the cinnamon filling on top of the dough, edge to edge. Then top with the apple pie compote.
9. Begin to carefully roll the dough legthwise away from you. Be sure to roll it as tightly as you can to ensure the rolls hold together.
10. Once a "log" has been formed slice into 9-10, 2 inch wide rolls. Place the cut rolls into the parchment lined pan.
11. Brush tops of the rolls with 2 TBSP of melted dairy or non-dairy butter, cover with foil or parchment and bake for 43-45 minutes until golden. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
To make AIP Friendly: Swap out the Tapioca Starch for Arrowroot Starch, Use only palm sugar throughout the recipe and use Guar Gum instead of xanthan!
To make these rolls sugar free- Use Xylitol or Erithritol in place of all of the sugar in the recipe!