Grain & Egg Free Banana Cream Pie! (With Dairy Free Directions)
Banana Cream Pie has to be one of the most popular pies to date. Everyone loves it, but not everyone can have it. This new recipe hopefully changes that for a lot of you! I made this recipe dairy free and egg free and depending on which Holiday Pie Crust recipe you chose to make, it can be nut free as well! There is also a delicious sugar free option for you guys too. No matter how you "slice" it, this pie is sure to please all palates!
First select your pie crust - I have two that are crazy good (In different posts)
· 1 16oz Can of Full Fat Coconut Milk or 2 Cups Heavy Cream
· 3 tsp Gelatin
· 1/4 Cup Hot Water
· 4 TBSP Honey (see note)
· 2 TBSP Vanilla
· 1/4 tsp Salt
· 1 Ripe Banana, mashed
· Yellow food coloring (optional!) You can use a natural yellow if you want!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the crust according to its directions, place into a standard size pie plate and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until warmed through.
4. In a large bowl dissolve the gelatin in the hot water, whisk until well combined. Add in the warm coconut milk and whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and using an immersion blender, blend until everything is smooth and combined.
5. Pour the pie filling into the prepared and cooled crust. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to set for 2-3 hours or overnight.
6. Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut before slicing and serving.