Egg Free Pecan Pie! (Gluten/Grain/Soy Free & Vegan)
Very few pies are quite as rich and decadent as Pecan Pie, and aside from Pumpkin Pie nothing says "Thanksgiving" quite as much as Pecan Pie either! With Thanksgiving just a couple of days away, I know many of you out there are baking up a storm! If you thought that Pecan Pie was off the table because of certain dietary restrictions and limitations you or a loved one may have, think again! The filling of this classic pie is free of gluten, grain, soy and is also vegan and depending which of my two Holiday Pie Crust recipes you use, it can also be coconut free! Thanksgiving just isn't Thanksgiving without a piece of pie at the end of the meal, so eat up!
First select your pie crust - I have 3 that are crazy good (In different posts)
2 Cups of Whole or Chopped Pecans
· 1 1/4 Cup of Palm Sugar
· 1 cup of Maple Syrup
· 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
· 6 Tablespoons of Melted Butter or Melted Ghee (a mild flavored oil should also work)
· 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
· 1 Tablespoon of Bourbon (optional)
· 1/2 Cup + 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch
1. Place pie crust of choice into a 9 inch pie pan, crimping the edges. Place pecan halves (or chopped pecans) into bottom of raw crust and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining filling ingredients until very well mixed. Pour into pan over pecans. If desired you can place whole pecans in a pretty design on top of the pie.
3. Place into oven - turn on the oven to 350 (do not preheat prior to placing the pie in the oven - it'll help prevent the crust from burning) and cover the pie crust with a pie shield and bake 63-68 minutes until the filling is pretty firm and the crust is a pretty golden brown.