Coconut Flour Pie Crust. (Egg/Nut/Grain/Gluten Free)
· 1/4 cup of coconut flour
· 1 1/2 cup of tapioca or arrowroot starch
· 6 TBSP Palm Shortening
· 5 TBSP of Slightly Softened Butter (or Earth Balance)
· 1/2 teaspoon of salt
· 3/4 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
· 5 tablespoons applesauce
1. In a large food processor (I use a 14 cup) add the coconut flour, starch, butter, shortening, salt and xanthan or guar gum. Process until the dough begins to come together. Add the applesauce and process until a smooth dough forms.
2. Place the dough into a sealed tupperware and place into the fridge 30 minute to an hour.
3. After the dough has chilled roll out between two sheets of parchment paper (dusting with extra starch as needed to prevent sticking)
4. Quickly place the rolled out crust into the pie pan using the parchment as your guide. It should holds its shape without breaking.
5. At this point you can either fill the crust with filling of choice and follow the directions for that pie. OR Bake the crust in a 350 degree oven 16-20 minutes until lightly golden.
PS. I this is 1 of 4 Pie Crust recipes that I have available. All made for various diets/allergies. All are really good!