Keto Harvest Shepherds Pie! (gluten,grain,egg,dairy,nut free & paleo)
In my house shepherds pie is the epitome of comfort food, my husband goes crazy whenever I come up with a new version to make... and this fun fall version is no exception! Topped with pureed roasted butternut squash instead of mashed potatoes and laced with warm fall flavors like sage, cinnamon and nutmeg this sets a new bar for all future shepherds pies made in my kitchen. I made this one with ground beef but you could easily swap that for ground chicken or turkey!
· 6 cups butternut squash, diced
· 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
· 1 lb ground beef
· 1 large onion, diced
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
· 1 1/2 tsp ground sage
· 1 tsp sea salt
· 1 tsp black pepper
· 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
· 1/2 tsp dried parsley
· 1/2 tsp nutmeg
· 1/2 tsp cinnamon
· 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
· 2 cups frozen peas
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the squash on the prepared sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss with hands to coat. Place into oven and roast for 35 minutes, flipping half way through. Remove from oven, reduce heat to 350 degrees, place squash into a large bowl, puree with an immersion blender and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium high heat add the bacon and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan and allow to drain on paper towel. Fold into the pureed squash.
3. To the skillet with the rendered bacon fat add the ground beef, onions, garlic and carrots and cook until beef is browned and the onions and carrots have softened. Add the seasonings and frozen peas and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the filling to a 9x5 inch casserole dish, spread evenly and then top with the pureed squash. Place into the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.