Grain Free Pumpkin Harvest Flatbread Pizza!
So I get excited about pretty much every recipe I come up with, but this one totally has me over the moon! It combines two popular new recipes and turns them into a mouthwatering pizza! For the crust we used my Pumpkin Flatbread and for the sauce base we used my Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce, topped it with sausage, bacon, caramelized onions, Gruyere cheese and crispy sage leaves and the result was overwhelmingly delicious. Be warned, this pizza is highly addictive and extremely filling, so try to pace yourselves!
Yes, it requires a few steps, and to dirty a few extra pots and pans, but lawdy lawd this is one recipe you CANNOT MISS. Its truly the most delicious pizza I have EVER ever ever ever had.
Oh and btw- if you cant have dairy- don't worry about the cheese on top and use coconut milk in the alfredo!
· 1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
· 1 cup tapioca starch
· 1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
· 2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
· 1 tsp ground nutmeg
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1- 14 oz can of pumpkin puree
· 1/4 cup of Avocado or Olive oil.
· 2 tbsp honey
· 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
· 1/2 lb italian sausage, casings removed
· 1 small onion, diced
· 2 cups roasted butternut squash, roasted
· 2 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
· 8 fresh sage leaves, soaked in olive oil
· Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard baking sheet (for thick crust) or a Small baking sheet (for thin crust) with parchment paper, set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat add the bacon and sausage and allow to render some fat, about 5 minutes. Then add the onion and cook until very tender and sweet, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. We had pre-roasted butternut squash on hand, if you don't you can roast it now or just add the butternut squash to the pan with the meat to cook until its tender.
3. Prepare the flatbread:
4. In a large stand mixer bowl or using a hand mixer combine all of the ingredients on medium high speed until a loose dough forms.
5. Using a spatula spread the dough into an even layer onto the prepared baking sheet.Brush with a light coating of olive or avocado oil. Place into preheated oven and bake for 18 minutes.
6. While the crust is cooking make the pumpkin alfredo sauce.
7. Once the flatbread has cooked for its directed time, remove from oven and top with the prepared alfredo sauce, bacon, sausage and onions, roasted squash, Gruyere and sage leaves. Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Turn the oven to a high broil and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until golden and bubbly.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.