Hard Cider Caramel Apples! (Gluten/Grain Free)
Hard Cider Syrup
· 6 cups hard cider
· 1 cup + 2 tbsp honey
· 3 1/4 tsp tapioca, potato or arrowroot starch
· 3/4 tsp sea salt
· 3/4 tsp nutmeg
To Make the Caramel
· 1 cup of thick hard cider syrup
· 4 Tbsp Salted Butter
· 1 Cup of Palm Sugar or Organic Cane Sugar
· 3 Tbsp of Heavy Cream or Heavy coconut milk from a can
· 6 small apples with popsicles sticks placed in them
1. If you apples have wax- place them briefly in boiling hot water. Place stick in them and then place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and set aside.
2. Make the Hard Cider Syrup. Place the Hard cider, Honey and Starch in s sauce pan. Whisk and gently boil for about an hour until condensed and thick.
3. Make the caramel: Pour 1 cup of the hard cider syrup in a pot with the butter, cane sugar and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and cook stirring often until the caramel reaches 248 degrees. Turn off heat.
4. Dunk the apples in the hot caramel and add any addition toppings. Place on the cookie sheet and allow to cool. Store the apples in the fridge.
If you are using palm sugar in the caramel mixture you will lose some of the hard cider flavor (though they will still be really delicious!) ALSO if using the palm sugar only heat the caramel to about 230 degrees otherwise it will likely start burning. Even at only 230 degrees the caramel will stick to the apples really nicely.
You may end up having some extra hard cider syrup leftover which is a very good thing~ Drizzle it on pancakes/waffles. Cook it with pork and apples, Mix it into apple pie (or pour it over an apple pie) Drizzle it over sage sausage, serve it with crepes. Its good on EVERYTHING.