Grain Free Panettone! (Gluten/ Dairy/ Coconut Free)
The most iconic Christmas bread!! Made GRAIN FREE! This recipe was a huge accomplishment and a labor of love! Grain Free bread in general doesn’t have the same lifting power that gluten does (or even grain based gluten free flours have). So, I went with making it as muffins for the absolute best rise possible. I ended up with soft, billowy delicious bread!
Do not make ANY substitutions with this recipe. It needs to be made exactly as is and PLEASE pick up a kitchen scale if you don’t have one. If you want the bread to turn out exactly like mine the gram measurements really need to be used!
· 2 tsp Fast Acting Yeast
· 6 TBSP Honey
· 10 Tablesoons of warm water
· 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
· 7 Egg Whites (from Large Eggs)
· 1 ½ packed cup Almond Flour (216g)
· 1 cup Tapioca Starch (127 grams)
· 1 cup Potato Starch or Sweet Potato Starch (161g)
· 1/4 cup of ORGANIC Cane Sugar
· 2 ½ tsp xanthan or guar gum
· 1 TBSP Baking Powder
· ½ tsp Kosher Salt
· 1/2 cup Spectrum Shortening
Optional add-ins totaling 1- 1/2 cups of fruit):
· Chopped Candied Oranges (a recipe from my new book Every Last Crumb.
· Dried cranberries
· Other chopped dried fruit.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees to create a "proofing box" And place 6 large (penettone style) Muffin tins (or regular muffin liners) in a muffin tin.
2. Mix into a small bowl or cup the Yeast, Honey, Warm water and Vanilla Extract. Set aside to let the yeast activate.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a basic bowl if you have a hand mixer) place in the 7 egg whites. Set aside.
4. Place another bowl over a kitchen scale and add dough ingredients. Mix well. (if you have a sifter and some patience sifting these ingredients yields ever better bread!)
5. Go back to the egg whites bowl and beat those on high until they foamy. Pour in the yeast/honey mixture and beat on high for another 15 seconds.
6. Using a spatula fold in the flour mix little by little into the egg white mixture! Do this slowly and carefully. You should end up with a sticky wet dough. Stir in the optional dried fruit.
7. Divide the dough between 10-12 muffin cups. Then to smooth the tops out- dip the spoon in water and then smooth out of the tops of the bread.
8. Turn off the oven- and then place the bread into the oven for 30 minutes with a crack open. This will allow the dough to proof (aka Puff up!)
9. Remove the bread from the oven after 30 minutes and then preheat the oven to 375 again.
10. One preheated place back in the oven. Bake 20 minutes. Placing a sheet of tinfoil or parchment over the bread the last ten minutes to prevent burning,
11. Remove from oven. Store at room temperature in a sealed bag or container once cooled or freeze for later!
If you want this bread to turn out properly USE THE GRAM measurements otherwise I can assure that yours will turn out like mine!
DO NOT MAKE ANY SUBSTITUTIONS!!!!