Grain Free Cranberry Orange Mini Bagels! (Gluten / Dairy/ Nut Free!)
These mini bagels are really really good! I love watching them bake! They have great flavor and the texture is on point.
I made them small as they bake through best that way and also get the best rise in the oven. You can freeze these bagels and slowly pull them out as you want them. They also toast up really nicely! They are perfectly festive for the whole holiday season!
· 1 1/4 cup Water or Orange Juice (about 4 oranges if using fresh squeezed)
· 108g Coconut Flour
· 129g Potato Starch
· 80g Coconut Palm Sugar or Organic Cane Sugar
· 2 TBSP Potato Flour
· 1 TBSP + 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
· 1 TBSP Baking Powder
· 5 TBSP Spectrum Shortening
· 3 Large Eggs
· 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
· 3/4 tsp Salt
· 3 TBSP Fresh Orange Zest (about 3 oranges worth)
· 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
· 1 Large Egg
· 1 TBSP Water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the water/OJ, Coconut Flour, Potato Starch. Sugar, Potato Flour, Xanthan Gum and baking powder.
3. Once fully mixed add the shortening, eggs, cider vinegar and salt. Mix on high for a few minutes allowing for a dough that holds together but is slightly tacky! Stir in the orange zest and dried cranberries and mix for an additional minute.
4. Oil your hands and using 1/4 cup of the dough form into about one dozen mini balls. Roll in between your hands, and use a well oiled thumb to create the center. Make the center large. When the dough rises in the oven, the hole will close in quite a bit!
5. Place the shaped bagels on a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and paint a little egg wash over each. Halfway through the baking time you will want to brush with a little extra egg wash.
6. Place the cookie sheet into the hot oven. Bake for 50-55 minutes unit beautifully golden and firm to touch.