Chocolate Custard Creme Filled Donuts! (Gluten/Grain/Dairy Free)
Here we are again, another addition to my expanding donut collection. I can't get enough of them! I hope you agree with me. I'm having so much fun varying what goes inside of these soft and fluffy pieces of heaven!
To make this recipe- start with my Grain Free Jelly Donut Recipe. Follow the directions to make the dough! EXCEPT this time- you will want to shape them a little different. (or of course you can stick to a round shape if you prefer)
I made my dough about 3/4 inches thick- and cut it into circles using a 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter. I then took the circles and carefully smooshed them into a long skinny donuts (like hot dog buns!) (as pictured above) Make them slightly slimmer than you expect them to turn out- as they will expand when you let them rise, and then again slightly when you fry them!
I like to make this custard before I make the donuts, so that it has time to chill in the fridge. This recipe will make enough for about 3 batches of my jelly donuts. Its SO yummy, you won't mind having a little extra! (Think: Fancy pudding!!)
Don't forget to let your donuts cool before you fill them with the custard!
· 1 1/2 Cup Heavy Coconut Milk from a Can OR Heavy Cream
· 2 Large Eggs
· 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar (I used Organic Cane)
· 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
· 1/4 tsp Salt
· 3 TBSP Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch
· 1 cup of chocolate chips
1. Pour milk into a saucepan over low heat.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and tapioca.
3. Pour warmed milk into mixing bowl; whisking constantly.
4. Pour mixture back into saucepan over low heat, and whisk until thickened.
5. Either use an immersion blender or whisk or hand mixer to whip custard to make it creamy; Set aside.
6. Heat one cup of chocolate chips in the microwave until melted ( no more than one minute) . Whisk the melted chocolate into the custard. (You might need the immersion blender, or hand blender to really get it smooth!)
7. Place in a bowl and cover. Place into the fridge to chill for about an hour.
*Instead of filling donuts with jelly squeeze in the custard using a piping bag! Melt another cup of chocolate and dip or spoon the melted chocolate on top of the finished donuts! Decorate with sprinkles if you want! I used Williams- Sonoma Naturally colored sprinkles.