Mexican Hot Chocolate Pudding Pie! ( With Dairy / Egg/ Sugar Free Options)
Since cream pies are my favorite on Thanksgiving- I decided to make ALL the flavors! This is another fun one in the collection! You can make it with heavy cream OR coconut cream for dairy free. With Honey OR stevia.. whatever floats your boat! :) We tested it out all the ways and were happy with all of the results! If you enjoy a little kick and would like a Mexican hot chocolate flavor be sure to use the cayenne.
I have two super popular and delicious pie crusts for you to choose from! You can use them or any other recipes of choice :) (Or even a pre-made store bought crust!)
· 1 Prepared Holiday Pie Crust of choice
· 2 Cups Organic Heavy Cream or 1 16oz Can of Full Fat Coconut Milk
· 3 tsp Gelatin
· 1/4 Cup Hot Water
· 3 TBSP Cocoa Powder
· 6 TBSP Honey (see note)
· 2 TBSP Vanilla
· 1/4 tsp Salt
· 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional, see note)
1. Prepare the crust according to its directions. Bake in a standard size pie plate for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk until warm, about 3 minutes.
3. In a large bowl dissolve the gelatin in the hot water, whisk until dissolved.
4. Pour the warmed heavy cream/coconut milk into the dissolved gelatin mixture and whisk together. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.
5. Pour the pie filling into the prepared pie crust and place on a level surface in the fridge and allow to chill overnight.
6. Top with whipped topping of choice if desired!
To make this recipe sugar free substitute the honey for 8-10 packets (8-10g) of Stevia to taste. To make this a Mexican Style Hot Chocolate Pudding Pie add the optional cayenne pepper.