Grain Free Strawberry Loft House Sugar Cookies! (Gluten/Dairy/Nut/Seed Free)
I just had to come up with a perfectly pink version bursting with strawberry flavor. My solution? A bag of freeze dried strawberries! I threw them into my blender- turned them into powder and added it to both the cookie dough AND the frosting. Voila- I had a beautiful pink dough and a gorgeous frosting. The flavor is so fresh and clean and REAL. Nothing artificial happening here. You can cut these cookies into any shape- and if you wish use another freeze dried fruit instead of strawberry. The flavor possibilities are endless!
Strawberry Sugar Cookies
· 3/4 Packed Cups of Coconut Flour
· 3/4 Cups Tapioca Starch (or arrowroot)
· 1 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
· 2 Tsp. Baking Powder
· 1/4 Tsp. Salt
· 1 pkg (1.2 oz) of Dehydrated Strawberries (I got mine from trader joes!)
· 1 Cup Shortening (I use Spectrum)
· 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
· 3 TBSP of Applesauce
· 1 Large Egg
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients ( Coconut flour, Starch, Sugar, Baking Powder and Salt).
3. Make dehydrated strawberries into a fine powder. (You can use a blender)
4. Add the shortening, and using your hands or a pastry cutter- mix the shortening in as much as possible.
5. Add Vanilla Extract, Egg, and Applesauce. Use your hands to mix until it forms a dough.
6. Dust a little starch on a sheet of parchment paper- and roll the dough out (I like to roll out between two sheets of parchment).
7. Cut dough into shapes of choice and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
8. Bake 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool 100% before touching them or they WILL crumble into a million pieces.
I use organic cane sugar as it gives a very loft sugar cookie kind of taste! I don't use it often- but feel some recipes are worth the splurge! If you are against using it- you can get away with using another granulated sugar of choice in this recipe- such as coconut palm sugar. Know if you do this, your cookies won't end up light pink in color like mine- they will take on a pinkish/light brown color instead.
· 2 cups of powdered Sugar
· 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
· 1 TBSP Milk (dairy or nondairy- any variety)
· 1/4 cup plus 1 TBSP of Butter (dairy OR nondairy- any variety)
· 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP of Shortening (I use Spectrum)
· 1/2 Pkg of Dehydrated Strawberries made into powder (I got mine from trader joes!)
1. Make your strawberry powder by placing freeze dried strawberries into a coffee grinder (a little at a time) or in a blender. Process until powdery.
2. Using a mixer- combine all the frosting ingredients until fluffy.
If you want to take this recipe one step further and make your own powdered sugar- you can do that too! Just place your granulated sugar of choice into a high powdered blender and pulse until powdery. If you want to reduce the sugar content in the recipe overall- you can use xylitol!