Coconut Cream Pie Bars (Dairy/Grain/Gluten/Egg/Sugar Free)
These beautiful creamy bars contain delicious spiced rum. As an added bonus they are SUGAR FREE (using stevia as the sweetener) Egg Free (using gelatin to thicken) and Dairy Free! With a delicious pie crust, and creamy coconut fulling you cant go wrong.
Feel free to make these ahead of time and freeze them (Or even just freeze extras) If you prefer not to make bars- the recipe can be used to fill a pie pan. (Though use a smallish full size pan that isn't super deep OR double the filling recipe for a deep pan.
For the whipped topping I just use a hand beater to fluff up some coconut cream and I added a pinch of salt and a little vanilla extract. BUT if you want to make a fancy real deal dairy free topping- I have a recipe in my book Every Last Crumb that works amazing.
· Paleo Copycat 'Pillsbury' Pie Crust
· 2 cups of coconut cream
· 2.5 tsp of grass fed gelatin
· ¼ cup of very hot water
· 3.5 tbsp honey or 7g stevia
· ¼ tsp sea salt
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
· 1-2 tbsp spiced rum (optional)
· 1 cup coconut flakes, plus more for garnishing (toasted flakes optional)
· Whipped coconut cream recipe in my book Every Last Crumb
1. Make my Paleo Copycat 'Pillsbury' Pie Crust. Store the dough in the fridge (or freezer to hasten the process). This can also be made ahead.
2. Press your crust into the baking pan and bake for 16 minutes or until edges become slightly golden. Remove from oven, set aside to cool and prepare the filling.
3. In a small sauce pan over medium heat warm up the coconut cream.
4. While the cream heats, place gelatin into a large bowl with very hot water and whisk to combine.
To the bowl add the warmed cream and whisk, then add honey or stevia, sea salt, vanilla extract, rum (optional), and coconut flakes. Whisk to combine. If the rum flavor is too strong, heat up the Ingredients
5. mixture to cook off some of the alcohol flavor.
6. Pour into prepared pie crust and place in fridge for at least 3 hours to set. Once set, garnish with more coconut flakes and coconut whipped cream. Can be stored covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.