Beer & Candied Bacon Chocolate Cake (Gluten/Grain/Nut/Dairy Free)
The ultimate man cake! I created it for my dads bday. The cake itself is grain free- but then uses gluten free beer (which technically is not grain free) so that makes the cake just gluten free.
IF you cant have any grains- just use milk (dairy or nondairy) in place of the beer and leave out the glaze.
To make the bacon roses- just roll up the bacon after it cools down slightly after baking. There is no special trick or technique 🙂
· 72 grams coconut flour (about 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
· 88 grams potato starch or sweet potato starch (about 1/2 cup)
· 25 grams cocoa powder (about 1/4 cup)
· 1 tablespoon double-acting, aluminum- free baking powder
· 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
· 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and pureed
· 4 large eggs
· 165 grams organic cane sugar (about 1 cup)
· 134 grams beer (about 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp)
· 44 grams spectrum shortening (about a scant 1/4 cup)
· 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Beer Caramel Drizzle:
· 1 bottle light gluten-free beer or stout (do not use an IPA or other very bitter beer. Make sure your stout is also not bitter)
· 1 1/2 cups palm sugar
· 1 tsp vanilla
· 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 2 tbsp butter or non dairy butter
· 1 cup cream or coconut cream
Milk Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
· 3 sticks butter, room temperature (or non dairy butter)
· 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
· 1/2 cup shortening
· 3 tbsp cocoa powder
· 2 tsp vanilla
· 1 tbsp whiskey or bourbon
· 6 strips thick slice raw bacon
· 2 cups palm sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil and flour (with starch) an 9" cake pan or two 7" springform pans.
2. In a food processor or blender, briefly mix together the coconut flour, potato starch, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the rest of the batter ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and process until light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate chips if desired.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan(s). Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan.
5. Make the frosting by mixing all the ingredients together with a hand mixer until thick and blended.
6. Add the beer, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a medium saucepan and boil for about an hour until it cooks down significantly, whisking intermittently.
7. Whisk in the butter and cream and cook down for about 30 more minutes until it becomes caramelized. Set aside.
8. Preheat oven to 350. Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place a rack on the cookie sheet.
9. Fill a wide, shallow bowl with palm sugar. Generously coat each bacon slice with palm sugar, and place on the rack. Bake for 25-30 minutes until crispy.
Arrange the cake:
1. When the cake is completely cool, carefully trim the cake evenly making just two pieces or 2 or 4 disks to create the tiers. Frost each layer, then the outside. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.Then drizzle the beer caramel over the top (make sure its not too hot or it will melt the frosting), and let it drip down the sides. I put mine back in the fridge for 20 minutes then topped with candied bacon.
2. Make sure to only put the cake in the fridge for short periods of time- due to the fact that its made with coconut flour it can and will dry out. It tastes the absolute best kept at room temp!
PS. I have an IMPORTANT note:
Social media these days has taken a major DIVE and the majority of you that follow my FB business page and Instagram page see very little of what I post! This makes it hard for your guys to receive the free content you wanted to see!
I did a lot of research and the best way to stay in touch right now is through a FB group!! So I started one: (Brittany Angell’s Special Diet Group) . THIS GROUP is not just for sharing my recipes- but as a place of support where you are all welcome to ask health and recipe related questions, meet new people, and share any special diet recipes you have tried and enjoyed! I will be doing giveaways in this group in the months to come!! Come join us!! Its a positive uplifting group! Click here: