Cheez-Its 6 Ways! (Gluten/Grain/Egg Free/Dairy Free Option)
These crackers are SO DARN GOOD that I felt the need to come up with 6 fun flavor variations!! They are ALL delicious! They taste like legit cheez-its to boot! Try them all and let me know which is your favorite. I think the Jalapeño cheddar and the ranch were my fave.
· 137 grams blanched almond flour (about 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
· 71 grams tapioca starch (about 1/2cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
· 1 teaspoon double-acting, aluminum- free baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
· 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (dairy or nondairy)
· 3 tablespoons hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 315 degrees. Have on hand 2 baking sheets.
2. Using a food processor, pulse the almond flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt until blended. Add the cheese and hot water and process until the ingredients come together as a dough. (Almond flour slowly releases its fat and moisture as you mix it, so it may take longer than you would expect for the dough to come together.)
3. Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a rectangle about 12 by 17 inches.
4. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the dough into 1?2-inch squares and pierce each square with a fork. (Do not separate the squares.)
5. Slide the piece of parchment paper with the dough squares onto a baking sheet.
6. Repeat this process with the second half of the dough.
7. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes. The exact time will depend on how thin you rolled out the dough. You will know that the crackers are done when they are firm and crisp. (Break off a piece and take a bite—they should be crunchy all the way through.)
8. Break along the seam lines that you cut and let the crackers cool on the baking sheet. Store the cooled crackers in a sealed bag or container at room temperature, or freeze for another day.
Cheddar Jalapeno: Omit the water from the base recipe. Add 2 jalapenos to the food processor, stem/seeds removed. Blend until the dough is smooth.
Taco: Add 1/2 tsp cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder. Add 1 tsp paprika and chili powder.
Pizza: Use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar and add 1 cup pepperoni and 1 tbsp Italian spice blend.
Cheddar Bacon: Fry 1 cup raw bacon (~7 pieces) to your liking. Drain very well. Add bacon to the dough ingredients and blend until smooth.
Ranch: Use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar. Use lemon juice instead of water. Add 1/2 tsp onion powder, dried dill, garlic powder, black pepper, parsley flakes, mustard powder. The flavor mellows after cooking.
Cheddar Cayenne: Add 1 tsp cayenne pepper.