Gluten/Grain Free Monkey Bread. (Dairy Free)
This monkey bread is DELISH! It’s perfect for Christmas morning or any family gathering (or just a wintery weekend at home!)
You have a few options with making this monkey bread. The first is to use a traditional bunt pan- just made sure it’s on the new side and the nonstick surface works really good. Otherwise you may end up with issues and the monkey bread not coming out on one perfect piece.
The second option is to make these as cupcakes. You follow the same steps and process except make mini stacks of monkey bread in cupcake tins (using a cupcake) liner. Drizzle the caramel over them like you would in the bundt pan and then bake! Done this way your baking time may be shorter- so just keep an eye on them. When they feel firm to touch and a little golden and the caramel is bubbling you know they are done!
You could also try making this in a parchment lined bread pan! I’m not sure about the dough quantity vs the size of the pan.. you may end up with 2 pans. But having that parchment paper in there is a guaranteed way to avoid any sticking issues that you might have with any pan that’s losing its nonstick abilities. (Which they all do with time!)
· 1/2 Cup Butter (dairy or nondairy) OR Coconut Oil
· 1 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar or Sucanat or regular brown sugar ( granulated maple sugar may work too!)
· 1/4 cup heavy coconut cream (skimmed from the top of a chilled can) OR Mimiccream (nut cream) or regular heavy cream.
· 4 packed cups of blanched almond flour.
· 1 packed Cup Starch (Potato or Tapioca Starch).
· 1 Tsp. Salt
· 1 1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
· 1 Cup Butter (dairy or nondairy), Bacon Lard or Shortening.
· 4 Large Eggs
· 2 Tsp. Lemon Juice or Vinegar
Sugar Biscuit Coating
· 1/2 Cup Granulated Organic Cane Sugar or Sucanat or Coconut Palm Sugar or Granulated Maple. (xylitol & Erithritol might work I haven't tested them out yet)
· 2 Tsp. Cinnamon.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a non-stick bundt pan.
2. Make the caramel. Combine all caramel ingredients (butter, sugar and cream) into a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Turn on stove and heat until the mixture has started to gently boil and the sugar has melted (it should look like a thin caramel sauce- this will only take a few minutes). Turn off stove and set aside.
3. Make the biscuits: In a large bowl combine the Almond Flour, Starch, Salt and Baking Soda. Cut in the butter until it becomes pea sized.
4. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and lemon juice. Pour the mixture into the big bowl of flour. Gently stir until it just barely becomes a dough that holds together well.
5. In a small bowl or in a plastic bag mix together the sugar and cinnamon. This will be use to roll the biscuit dough in.
6. Take tablespoon sized pieces of biscuit dough and gently roll them into balls. Roll the dough in the bowl of sugar (or shake it in a plastic bag- 1 or 2 pieces at a time). Until the dough is fully covered in sugar and cinnamon. Line the sugar coated dough in the bottom of the bundt pan. Continue with all the dough and slowly layer it in a circle. You will end up with 2-3 rows of monkey bread bites stacked on top of each other when you are finished.
7. After all of the biscuit pieces are in place- pour the caramel sauce evenly over the biscuit dough (letting it seep into all of the nooks and crannies).
8. Place the pan into the oven (on the middle shelf) and bake 45-50 minutes. Cover the pan with tinfoil after the first 25 minutes of baking (to prevent the top from burning.) After the full time in the oven- remove and allow to cool 20 minutes.
9. Carefully cut around the edges of the pan and then flip the monkey bread onto a plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PS. I have an IMPORTANT note:
Social media these days has taken a major DIVE and the majority of you that follow my FB business page and Instagram page see very little of what I post! This makes it hard for your guys to receive the free content you wanted to see!
I did a lot of research and the best way to stay in touch right now is through a FB group!! So I started one: (Brittany Angell’s Special Diet Group) . THIS GROUP is not just for sharing my recipes- but as a place of support where you are all welcome to ask health and recipe related questions, meet new people, and share any special diet recipes you have tried and enjoyed! I will be doing giveaways in this group in the months to come!! Come join us!! Its a positive uplifting group! Click here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/364958107637572/?ref=share