Sugar Cookie Bars. (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Dairy Free)
Sugar cookie bars are just like cut-outs, except easier. No one will notice the lack of holiday shapes with the funfetti or buttercream frosting decorations. These cookie bars are made in a flash and freeze really nicely! They are perfect to bring to any holiday party!
As a bonus this recipe is Nut Free, Egg Free and Grain Free and can even be made Autoimmune Paleo if you use Arrowroot starch instead of the tapioca starch. Granulated Honey or Maple Sugar as the sugar. Then for the frosting just swap the butter with spectrum shortening!
If you want to make these bars SUGAR FREE- just swap the sugar in the recipe for xylitol and use powdered xylitol in the frosting.
· 1 1/4 cup cassava flour
· 1 1/4 cup tapioca starch (or arrowroot)
· 1 1/4 cup granulated honey or maple sugar (coconut palm sugar can be used but will create a cookie darker in color) Organic Cane Sugar can also be used.
· 2 tsp baking powder
· 3/4 tsp sea salt
· 1 1/4 cup palm shortening
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
· 4 tbsp rainbow sprinkles to make funfetti (optional)
Buttercream frosting for decorating:
· 2 cups of powdered sugar OR Powdered Xylitol OR Powdered Granulated Honey
· 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
· 1 TBSP milk (dairy or nondairy- any variety)
· 1/4 cup of butter (dairy OR nondairy)
· 1/4 cup of palm shortening
· Food coloring (natural or regular) optional
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a small cake pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl for a stand mixer combine all ingredients (except the sprinkles and frosting) and mix on medium speed until well incorporated and a ball of dough forms.
3. Mix in sprinkles by hand (optional).
4. Press dough evenly onto the bottom of the cake pan.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden.
6. Allow cookies to cool COMPLETELY before handling or frosting if desired.
7. Mix all ingredients together using a hand mixer to form a thick frosting. Use food coloring if desired.