Snowballs/Italian Wedding Cookies! (gluten,grain free with dairy free and sugar free options)
Snowballs... Italian Wedding Cookies... Whatever you want to call them their results are all the same, and that is DELICIOUS! These pillowy little delights are most likely a traditional holiday treat for all of us, no matter what your family calls them. My Italian Grandmother made these cookies every year..as did her mother. My mom carried on the tradition..so it was only right that I should make them too! :)
You can easily stir 1/4 cup of chopped nuts into the dough if your family classic had a crunchy nutty element. Make this recipe your own and keep the family traditions alive!
Yield: 16 cookies
· 1 cup blanched almond flour (122g)
· 1/4 cup potato starch (44g)
· 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar or xylitol (40g)
· 1/4 tsp baking soda
· 1/4 tsp sea salt
· 1/4 cup room temperature butter (recommended for best flavor!), palm shortening or coconut oil (56g)
· 1 large egg
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 1/4 tsp lemon juice
for pre and post bake coating
· 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar or powdered xylitol
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl for a stand mixer whisk together the almond flour, potato starch, baking soda and salt. To the bowl add the butter, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice and mix on medium speed until well incorporated and a loose dough forms.
3. Use 1 tbsp of dough and roll into a ball between your hands, roll into the powdered sugar and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Place into the oven and bake for 14-15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool and roll them again in powdered sugar.
You can easily stir 1/4 cup of chopped nuts into the dough if your family classic had a crunchy nutty element.