Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies! (gluten,grain,egg free with dairy free and Keto directions!)
All things red velvet seem to be everywhere this time of year, and I am certainly not complaining! I love the look of anything red velvet on a holiday dessert table, the deep ruby red just looks so seasonal and decadant! So since I instantly fell in love with the chocolate crinkle cookies, I thought that the only way to possibly one up them is to transform them into red velvet crinkle cookies, so that is exactly what we did. With just a few simple tweaks we turned the recipe into, what I think will be a new holiday tradition in my house to leave out alongside some milk for Santa Clause!
Yield: 16 cookies
· 2 cups blanched almond flour (288g)
· 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated organic cane sugar, coconut sugar or granulated xylitol (140g)
· 1 tbsp cocoa powder
· 1 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp sea salt
· 4 1/2 tbsp room temperature butter, palm shortening or coconut oil (63g)
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
· 2 tbsp + 1 tsp red food coloring
· 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for crinkle coating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl for a stand mixer mix together all of the ingredients except the powdered sugar, on medium to medium-high speed until well combined and a large ball of dough forms.
3. Scoop the prepared dough, about 2 tbsp worth or with a small cookie scoop, roll between hands to form a ball, roll to coat well in the powdered sugar and place on cookie sheet. Using the pads of your fingers carefully flatten to about 1/4 inch thickness. Repeat process with remaining dough.
4. Place into the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.