Grinch Sugar Cookies. (Gluten/ Grain/ Egg/ Nut/ Dairy Free)
These cookies are designed to grow tiny hearts this season. Ha! 🙂
But really- I'm posting this recipe just for fun! And also because I wanted to post a Autoimmune Paleo Sugar Cookie Base. If you use natural food coloring (or leave it out altogether) and omit the candy hearts you'll have a perfect AIP sugar cookie!
This recipe is made using cassava and arrowroot starch! Hope you enjoy.
· 1 1/4 cup cassava flour
· 1 1/4 cup tapioca starch, plus more for dusting (or arrowroot)
· 1 1/4 cup granulated honey or maple sugar (coconut palm sugar can be used but will create a cookie darker in color)
· 2 tsp baking powder
· 3/4 tsp sea salt
· 1 1/4 cup palm shortening
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
· Green food coloring (optional)
· Red candy hearts or red frosting for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl for a stand mixer combine all ingredients (except the decorations) and mix on medium speed until well incorporated and a ball of dough forms.
3. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a sheet of parchment liberally dusted with tapioca starch to prevent sticking.
4. Cut out dough with the cookie cutter(s) of your choice and place onto the prepared baking sheets.
5. When re-rolling the dough you may need to add additional starch to the parchment.
6. Add candy hearts if desired.
7. Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 12-13 minutes or until edges are very lightly golden.
8. Allow cookies to cool COMPLETELY before handling or frosting if desired.