Gingerbread Espresso Men (Paleo/Gluten/Grain/Egg/Dairy Free & Vegan)
One of my ABSOLUTE Favorite cookies- made with almond flour and EGG FREE. I posted a gingerbread men recipe on the site a few years ago- and realized that recipe could use some sprucing. They are good by all means- but I wanted a cookie that had some billowy-ness and chew to them- which this new version absolutely has. For fun I added some ground coffee which adds a nice complexity of flavor! All in all these little men are a winning situation. The coffee however is completely optional..so if you have little people eating these cookies and don’t want them getting a little burst of energy, you can leave it out!
· 2 ½ cups blanched almond flour (360g)
· 1 cup Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch (132 grams)
· 3 Tbsp Shortening (36 grams)
· 1 cup coconut palm sugar (160 g)
· 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
· 2 tsp ground ginger
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· ½ tsp ground nutmeg
· ½ tsp salt
· 5 ½ tbsp molasses (77 grams)
· 5 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (75 grams)
· 1 tbsp vanilla extract
· 1 ½ Tsp Ground Coffee (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place a sheet of parchment on a large cookie sheet.
2. In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. After a minute of stirring use your hands to knead to dough so that it comes together into a uniform ball of dough that holds together well.
4. Roll this dough out between two sheets of parchment to about ¼ inch thick and use cookie cutters to cut into shapes of your choice. Re-roll out dough and cut until all of your cookie dough is gone.
5. Place all of the cookies on the lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from cookie sheet. Yields 2 large cookie sheets of cookies.