Dairy Free Cheddar Cheese or Mock Velveeta (Gluten/Grain/Egg Free)
Melt this cheddar on everything! Or snack on it, whatever. I recreated cheddar's distinct flavor with some surprising spices and its amazing. If you can't find chickpea miso, feel free to leave it out. Or use a rice miso if you're not grain-free.
Gelatin is the secret to cheddar's texture. If you want to leave it out, it is a creamy, cheesy, stretchy sauce perfect for fondue or mac n cheese. Depending on how much gelatin you use you will either end end up with a hard block of cheddar or a semi soft block of mock velveeta. Pictured above is the cheese made as velveeta.
· 3 tbsp grass-fed gelatin for a block of cheddar OR (1 tbsp + 1 tsp gelatin for Velveeta)
· 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
· 1/2 cup coconut oil
· 1 1/3 cup homemade almond milk
· 1/4 cup tapioca flour
· 1 tbsp chickpea miso paste
· 1 tbsp tomato paste
· 1 tsp sea salt
· 1/2 tsp mustard powder
· 1/2 tsp garlic powder
· 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp lemon juice
· 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
1. Have a small springform pan ready. Or use a small container/mold lined with overflowing parchment paper (in order to easily remove the Brie once finished).
2. Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to a medium pot on medium heat and whisk for about 5 minutes until thick.
3. Once thick, remove from heat. Do not overheat or you may break the emulsion.
4. Whisk in the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar and pour into your springform pan or mold.
5. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
6. Remove from mold and dust with a thick layer of tapioca flour. This is the crust.
7. Keep chilled.
8. If omitting the gelatin and using as a sauce, do not refrigerate. Use right away or store it and melt when needed.
It is important to use homemade almond milk for this cheese because commercial almond milk contains a lot more than just almond and water, which will affect your cheese.