Homemade Dairy Free Mozzarella Sticks (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Soy Free)
DAIRY FREE string cheese. The creamy, firm texture is spot on and best of all its HEALTHY - the main ingredients are coconut, almond milk and gut healing gelatin. You can make a batch of this and leave it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks and it melts too.
Best of all- it takes 15 minutes to prep- and about 3 hours to set in the fridge. You absolutely must try making this recipe! Full disclosure- it doesn't peel like regular string cheese. I couldn't quite figure that out 🙂 But it still makes a great snack.
· 1 1/3 cup of homemade almond milk
· 1/2 cup of coconut oil
· 1/4 cup of tapioca or arrowroot starch
· 1 Tbsp Agar POWDER
· 2 Tbsp + 2 Tsp Gelatine (grassfed or knox gelatin)
· 1 tsp Salt
· 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Add to a saucepan the almond milk and coconut oil. Keep the heat low so that the ingredients come together (if the heat gets too hot everything will separate) add the tapioca, agar, gelatin and salt.
2. Whisk continually over low heat until the arrowroot thickens and you end up with a texture similar to pudding. If you have an immersion blender- use it instead of a whisk as it will do an even better job.
3. Turn off the heat and whisk in the lemon juice.
4. Pour the mixture into a container. Use a long, shallow container with a smooth bottom.
5. Place the cheese in the fridge for at least 3 hours, overnight is best. Once its firm, cut into string cheese.
6. The cheese does melt if you heat it up- but it will become as thin as it was when you cooked it. It will work as a nice sauce if you want to use it in that way. It does not however hold up well in mozzarella sticks- we tried and it melted a bit too much.