Homemade Dairy Free Mozzarella Balls (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Soy Free)
DAIRY FREE mozarella.. this is the real deal folks. I was flipping out when it actually turned out AND tasted amazing. The creamy texture is spot on and best of all its HEALTHY - the main ingredients are coconut, almond milk and gut healing gelatin. You can make a batch of this and leave it in the fridge for 2-3 weeks and it melts too.
Best of all- it takes 15 minutes to prep- and about 3 hours to set in the fridge. You absolutely must try making this recipe!
· 1 1/3 cup of homemade almond milk
· 1/2 cup of coconut oil
· 1/4 cup of tapioca or arrowroot starch
· 1 Tbsp Agar POWDER
· 2 Tbsp + 2 Tsp Gelatine (grassfed or knox gelatin)
· 1 tsp Salt
· 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
· 4 cups of cold water
· 2 tsp salt
1. Add to a saucepan the almond milk and coconut oil. Keep the heat low so that the ingredients come together (if the heat gets too hot everything will separate) add the tapioca, agar, gelatin and salt.
2. Whisk continually over low heat until the arrowroot thickens and you end up with a texture similar to pudding. If you have an immersion blender- use it instead of a whisk as it will do an even better job.
3. Turn off the heat and whisk in the lemon juice.
4. Pour the mixture into a tupperware container. Use the smallest/deepest container that you have.
5. While the cheese is chilling and firming up mix together the brine ingredients and stick that in the fridge as well so it becomes nice and cold (feel free to add ice cubes too)
6. Place the cheese in the fridge for about an hour- then once its thick use a cookie scoop, melon baller or spoon to scoop mozzarella balls. Place the balls of mozzarella in the ice cold brine. Cover with ceran wrap or a lid and keep in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks.
7. The texture of the cheese gets best after being in the brine and fridge for a few hours! The cheese does melt it your heat it up- but it will become as thin as it was when you cooked it. It will work as a nice sauce if you want to use it in that way.