Grain Free Tortillas! (Grain/Gluten/Egg/ Dairy/ Nut/ Sugar Free)
These homemade tortillas stay really soft and bend beautifully after they have fully cooled. They're very easy to make and taste REAL DEAL! Use these in my white chicken enchilada recipe, or for tacos or wraps! This recipe features Otto's Cassava Flour!
· 1 1/2 cups of Ottos’s Cassava Flour + 4 Tbsp (216 grams)
· 1/2 cup of Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch (66 grams)
· 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
· 1 tsp xanthan or guar gum
· 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp palm shortening (120g)
· 1 cup hot water (220g)
· Tapioca flour for rolling
· Oil for frying
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cassava, starch, baking powder, and sea salt. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Add 1 cup hot water to the mixture, or just enough to make the ingredients moist and stick together.
2. With your hand or a large fork, knead the mixture until the dough forms a soft round shape. (OR just throw all the ingredients in a food processor together and pulse 10-15 second until a smooth dough forms)
3. Take the dough and pull it apart into 14 balls (about 2 tbsp of dough per ball). Roll each dough ball in between 2 pieces of parchment paper that are lightly sprinkled with tapioca starch to about 1/8 inch thickness. Alternatively, you can use a tortilla press.
4. Add oil to a medium hot nonstick skillet (¼ tsp oil per tortilla), place the tortilla on the skillet, and cook for about 1 minute on each side, until the tortilla bubbles and/or has brown spots on the cooked side.