Dairy Free Samoa Cookie Ice Cream (Gluten Free)
If your diet requires you to only be gluten and dairy free then this is the recipe for you! For the gluten free shortbread cookies I picked up the brand Schar from Wegmans.
Ice cream base
· 5 cups of canned coconut milk/ cream (Full fat) (Pull 1 cup out of the 5 aside)
· 3/4 cup of Honey (Agave or Maple Syrup will also work)
· 2 Tbsp Gelatin
· 1 1/2 TBSP Vanilla Extract
· tiny pinch of salt
· 6 TBSP of butter
· 3/4 cup of Palm Sugar
· 1/8 tsp of salt
· 2 TBSP Coconut Cream or Regular Cream
· 1/2 TBSP of Bourbon (Helps keep caramel soft!)
· 1/2 cup of chopped gluten free shortbread cookies
· 1/4 cup of chopped dairy free chocolate chips (or regular)
· 1/4 cup of toasted coconut flakes
1. Pour 4 cups of the coconut cream in a blender and reserve one cup, placing it in a microwave safe bowl (or in a sauce pan). Add the 2 tbsp of gelatin to that reserved cup and whisk the mixture together. Bring it to a boil either in the microwave or in a sauce pan.
2. Pour the hot cream/gelatin mixture into the blender and add the Honey, Vanilla and pinch of salt. Blend on high. Place in the fridge for a few hours to chill (Note: If it gets too thick and turns into a jello texture after chilling -whisk if vigorously or turn your blender back on and it will smooth out!)
3. While the ice cream is chilling make the caramel (and the cookies is you want to make them instead of buy them) To make the caramel: bring to a rapid boil the caramel ingredients stirring the whole time. Then allow to chill at room temperature.
4. Once the ice cream base has chilled (and is blended to be smooth again) process in your ice cream maker. Then layer it into a freezer safe bowl with drizzles of the caramel, chopped cookies, chocolate chips and toasted coconut!
To keep this recipe dairy free leave out the caramel! OR use Dairy Free Butter to make the caramel.