Dairy Free Red Velvet Ice Cream!
If you like both chocolate and vanilla ice cream them red velvet is for you.. as it’s a combo of those two flavors with some red food coloring added. I’m not sure why it’s red.. but that’s the tradition.
If you are anti food coloring .. it’s fine to leave it out. The ice cream will still look and taste good.
· 5 cups of Heavy coconut milk/cream (From a can)
· 2 TBSP Gelatin
· 3/4 cup of Honey (Or agave nectar)
· 1 1/2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
· 3 TBSP Dark cocoa powder (I use hersheys special dark)
· 2 1/2 TBSP red food coloring * Note: you can use natural or the real stuff. You could probably also use some freshly squeezed beet juice -but it may change the flavor of the ice cream a little bit.
1. Add to a blender 4 cups of the coconut cream. Reserving one cup.
2. Whisk that one cup with the gelatin and either a) place in the microwave for about a minute to bring to a boil or b) bring to a boil in a sauce pan to activate the gelatin.
3. Pour the hot gelatin/ milk mixture into the blender and add the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until perfectly mixed.
4. Place in the fridge for a few hours to chill: note if you leave it in the fridge for a long time it will turn into a jello/panna cotta texture! This is ok- you just need to turn the blender back on or blend it vigorously by hand and it'll turn into a silky smooth pudding.
5. Pour the base into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen (or almost frozen) store in an air tight container in the freezer.