Dairy Free Peanut Butter Tagalong Ice Cream. (Gluten/Grain/Egg Free)
This recipe is a bit more time consuming than my other ice cream recipes.. but it’s optional to add in the homemade cookies.. or to leave them out. whichever direction you choose to go you’ll end up with a delicious ice cream!!
Ice cream base
· 3 1/4 cup of cashew or almond milk
· 1 Tbsp Gelatin
· 2 cups of Creamy (smooth) Peanut Butter or Sunbutter
· 1 cup of raw cashews
· 3/4 cup of honey (Maple or Agave will also work)
· 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
· 1/8 tsp salt
· 1/2 cup of Chocolate chips (dairy or nondairy)
· 1/2 Cup of Cream or Heavy Coconut Milk from a can
· 2 cups of chopped gluten free short bread cookies.
1. In a microwave safe bowl whisk together the gelatin and milk. Bring to a boil in the microwave (or alternatively bring to a boil in sauce pan on the stove). Pour milk into a blender and add the remaining ice cream base ingredients. Blend on high till smooth. Place in the fridge and chill for a few hours. (Note: if it begins to turn into a pudding after the time in fridge whisk or blend again until smooth).
2. Place the ice cream in your ice cream maker and process until frozen.
3. Meanwhile- Make the chocolate ganache. Heat up the cream until its very hot to touch (in a microwave or on the stove) Then pour the cream over the chocolate chips and stir until fully melted and a thick sauce.
4. Layer into a container the frozen ice cream, drizzles of ganache and the shortbread cookies.Store in the freezer.
Grain Free Shortbread Cookies Recipe
2 Cups Blanched Almond Flour
1 Tbs Tapioca, Arrowroot or Potato Starch
3 Tbs Butter, Ghee, Earth Balance or Coconut Oil
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar (Palm Sugar, Granulated Honey or Organic Cane Sugar)
1/8 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tbs Vanilla Extract or Water
1 Tbs Applesauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the shortbread crust. In a food processor (or by hand) combine all of the crust ingredients. The dough should hold together. Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into circles. Cut out the dough soon after you make it, as it sits out it will begin to feel oily and it won't hold together quite as well.
Carefully place the cut-out cookies on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. Keep a careful watch on them the last few minutes to avoid burning. (note: cookies will come out soft and somewhat chewy- they will gain their shortbread texture as they cool!)